Friday, July 31, 2009

Our week of ministry comes to a close...

First, I want to thank the MANY people that have commented on my page and have sent me encouraging emails. I'm so thankful for the people in my life everyday! After a long hard day, it's so wonderful to be able to read everyone's encouragment.

Yesterday and today we visited several schools. Many of them several hours apart. Both Thursday and Friday were very long days. The schools seem to be doing well with what they have. Each school put on a show for us. The classes performed poems and songs for us...IN ENGLISH! They are pretty hard to understand, especially the younger children. But I can always pick out the words "Lord" and "God."

These schools are doing phenomenal with what they have. Education is not free here and it usually costs $4-$6 a month for a child to go to school. Most people cannot afford this. The ones that are able to attend school usually have sponsers. It is so sad everyday to watch the kids that cannot attend school stand outside the fence watching us with the other children. A few of us try to do little things for the other children that aren't as lucky.

There have been a few things that last few days that have really touched me. I've worked with the medical team several times this week. While I was visiting some peoples "houses (more like huts)," I have sent several people to see our doctor and they have been treated. Yesterday we visited a very established school in the morning. We were there to do a few activities but did not plan on doing medical treatment. One of our team members noticed a little boy who had something wrong with his ear, so we took a look at it. He had two VERY infected ears. One was oozing and the doctor thinks his ear drum burst. His glands and entire neck were swollen and he had the same ooz down his throat and a very high fever. We did what we could but we had to tell his teachers that if he did not get better and this illness was not treated, he would get worse and would be more likely to catch other illnesses.

The second half of today we returned to Mtepani. We helped clean up the church/classroom for the service we're having there on Sunday. All of the new believers are going to attend and we're expecting 500-750 people (including children) in a church that only seats MAYBE 100. It should be a good day of celebration on Sunday, though. The church has bought a cow to eat and will be serving lunch to those that attend.

Every day on the bus rides, I like to sit by myself and listen to my ipod. I love to watch everything out the window as we drive by. Sometimes it's still hard to believe that I'm in Africa and that this is reality for everyone that lives here.

Tomorrow is our "day off" and we will get to go shopping at the markets. I'm very excited about this. Thank you all again for your kind words. I will update tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Karla, I can picture you sitting on the bus watching everything out the window.....I hope the church service is awesome!

    Gary has been working 13 hour days....he's finally getting to sell and he is "gung ho" and working so hard. You would be proud of him.

    Have a good night, Mary

    ReplyDelete